(1) wow, there are a ton of Native Americans in ABQ. I’ve been in the minority many times, but never was the majority Native Americans.
(2) also never have been to a McDonald’s with a security guard at the door. Until ABQ. Eek.
(3) The Eastern AZ forest fire was visible from where we were. Driving through it was like driving through fog, no joke. The boo said it’s visible from Minnesota, good lord.
(4) Vietnamese restaurant in Amarillo (am-a-rill-o, said exactly the way it is spelled) is damn near the sketchiest place I’ve ever eaten in my life (which sketchy only actually includes the streets of China). And it was horridly awesome. Dad just went to Vietnam. Perhaps I vastly underestimated the cleanliness of Vietnam, but he wouldn’t even touch the tuong ot. They smoke in there.
—maybe the best/scariest part was a dark, dark man that walked in with a cut-off shirt (not just sleeves, but the hemline, too— up to his pecs) that said “We head to Zion” on the front, and maybe the same thing on the back in what looked like Thai (though Dad thought he was Laotian by what he spoke). Also note the 7 men swearing heavily in Vietnamese playing cards, and the second group of 5 men all wearing black, one of them with pants too short. Those pants revealed Grease-type footwear: ankle high socks and black leather lace-up shoes. Vietnamese gang? Whooooo knooooows
That entire city saddened me for a number of reasons. I should have taken pictures to better illustrate it (though maybe it’s really just a lack of awareness on my part).
(5) Was not aware that the CWS for women’s softball was in OKC.
(6) Also was not aware that tolls are effing EVERYWHERE in OKC
(7) Mom and Dad have the best stories. And it’s fascinating to see how their brains work. Mom’s ability to keep aware and still have no problem doing long car rides, and Dad and his racing mind that always finds something, even in the middle of nowhere, to talk about. Example? We saw a spur on a Texas road sign (sur-freaking-prise) and he talked about how he uses spurs (hubs, in this case) at work. Or about the presidencies/quotes/strategies of Reagan, Carter, Kennedy, and Nixon.
(8) Not having Mexican food closer to the border is going to be tough.
(9) There are a shocking amount of sushi restaurants out here.
(10) Too much roadkill for me to handle. Skunks, deer, cat, all kinds of birds. So sad :(
(11) MOST IMPORTANTLY we are safe. And we are going to a place that’s got 500 kinds of soda/”pop.”