Catherine Middleton and Sarah Burton have successfully kept the best-guarded secret in fashion history. The incredibly moving moment when the new Duchess of Cambridge stepped out of her car in an Alexander McQueen dress was the fantasy everyone in fashion has been dreaming would come true.
It’s a beautiful dress and a nice tribute, but if you didn’t tell me it was McQueen I’d never believe it!
So I came across this article perusing links posted by friends on Facebook.
I questioned whether it was a guy or girl writing this until the sex part, but I nonetheless felt the need to emphasize her point in my own way—so, sorry if they end up overlapping, uneditedmara@wordpress.
World, meet geek boyfriend and I in our normal state.
1. They have eccentric personalities, which means eccentric habits, eccentric senses of humor, etc. My sister and I have a tendency to make squeaky animal noises to express ourselves, and my geek boyfriend (who I call “the boo” on Tumblr) finds it both humorous and totally normal. We also found ourselves shaking our bums together in the middle of a grocery store late at night. Also interesting is his equal love for Gin Blossoms and Snoop Dogg, as is mine for System of a Down and Jay-Z.
2. Given they ARE geeks, they know a thing or two, and even though they may know way too much about Firefly and Battlestar Galactica, you know that the wheels are definitely spinning in there— at least, faster than the wheels turn when OTHERLY men stare at their muscles and grin in their sick narcissism. They want to talk, they have ideas, and it makes for engaging conversation. But remember #1— it’s not serious talk ALL THE TIME.
3. On the note of narcissism, most never show it if they possess it in the least. I think geeks feel the need to try harder in the girl arena and they know that self-centered “I am ALL THAT IS MAN” just isn’t going to cut it. (However, there are some completely unaware geeks that think the world of themselves, like Sheldon from Big Bang Theory_
4. AND BECAUSE of that, they’re going to be much more creative in pleasing the lady, and it won’t be founded on cut abs, cars, cash or that other c-word. They are more thoughtful and considerate. The female incentive has a higher value.
5. In contrast, they’re incredibly easy to please. Like uneditedmara said, crack open a Mountain Dew and you have a happy panda geek boyfriend. The boo and I don’t do anything crazy— all we need is food and we’re happy.
Of course, there’s nothing wrong with not having a geek boyfriend… but at least I have to say that geekiness is largely the foundation for the success of my relationship. So what say you? Does this apply to geek girlfriends, too? Other perks? Negatives?
BUT I’m obsessed with Polyvore and I’m not sorry for it. I’m not asking for street cred at all from the fashion blogosphere BY posting: I simply find it FUN and I think it’s a really neat concept! Virtual dress up with pretty much anything available for purchase on the Internet? I’m wishing I was the genius that came up with that one.
WHAT NOW, SON
Image from the Georgetown Voice